17.12.10

FOREVER DAY!






Friday Night - I arrive back in Addis too late to see Embakom. Saturday morning early I go to visit him, and before I know it they're reading us to drive back to the guest house together. I'm excited, but scared too. What if he doesn't want to go with me? He's already sitting in the van - there's no way he's letting me escape without him a second time. It's clear that the staff really care for him, but it's also clear that he knows all about flying to Canada and he can't wait to get started on this new life.

I leave a big sac with the staff there - the usual items, shoes, clothes, formula, medicine, toys. Embakom and I spend the day getting to know each other, just hanging out playing, eating, napping, having a bath, throwing balloons off of our balcony and running to the yard below to get them back. I'm amazed at how brave he is in the face of such a huge change in his little life!




I'm learning, too, about some pretty bizarre behaviours that are not uncommon to kids who've spent time in orphanages, about pain and loss and mistrust, and at the same time about a few great strategies to turn things around quickly with these little guys. There are lots of kids from different orphanages at the guesthouse, but many of the behaviors are exactly the same. Interesting, worrisome, sometimes just sad.



Sunday I was to visit another orphanage, but it's clear that I can't leave him behind, and I don't think that's a visit he can tolerate yet. Hmmm... we go to the Hilton in Addis instead to swim. He's never been to a pool before, it's a beautiful day, and Pina Coladas are served poolside made with fresh juice for $1.50. We have a great time, there are lots of kids there to play with and a terrific playground too. We return to the guesthouse very late, just in time for dinner and bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment