17.12.10

KVI orphanage at Sodo

Kingdom Vision International is a relatively new organization Ethiopia dedicated to social change for all Ethiopians, especially the very poorest, and especially children. You can learn more about their work at: http://kingdomvisioninternational.org/KVI/Home.html. This is the gate to their orphanage at Sodo. When Embakom was not yet 3, he passed through this gate.

I woke early Friday and went on a quest to replenish my donations to this orphanage, as I had given many things away on the road the day before. I was directed to a "supermarket" that turned out to be nothing more than a corner store. There really is nothing to buy in Ethiopia - I couldn't find soccer balls or children's shoes anywhere, at any price. I did find two big bags of plastic balls for about 40 cents per ball - I don't know what the man thought when I was trying to buy them. He kept checking his understanding of my request, not really convinced I wanted every ball he had, yet was not negotiating for them. Seriously, 40 cents each, a man who probably makes about $200 per year, and I'm going to barter? Then I bought a few staples (not much to choose from really), and every can of baby formula he had, so he threw one in free, frustrated I suppose with my Ferengi naivety. I arrived at the orphanage with the balls, groceries, formula, and toys, food, clothes, medicine and shoes from Canada. The staff were friendly in showing me around and introducing me to many of the children. As happy and excited to meet me as they seemed, they broke my heart because each was obviously so ready for a home. There is a dullness in the orphanages I visited, a kind of lack of stimulation, of spark. Kids thrive on attention, on stimulating opportunities, on time spent with interested adults, and without that they just don't sparkle like they should. Underfunded and understaffed, KVI is nevertheless an impressive place where love and genuine concern for children are evident in their work. The gifts I delivered were very much appreciated, and I was told many times that I would be blessed for this donation. I explained that the donations were from my many friends, but the director just kept pointing at the sky and agreeing, "yes, many friends".



These are the older kids "doing their schoolwork".

There were two babies in this crib, and several others just like this. They were so tiny and helpless I briefly considered sneaking some of them home under my coat.



These older boys were really funny, and amazing at dribbling a soccer ball. It was tough to imagine that because of their age they may never find adoptive homes.

5 comments:

  1. My husband played volleyall for the longest time with the middle boy in this photo! He was honestly the sweetest kid, so polite and clearly yearning for a family. We so badly wanted to bring him home with us... it was heartbreaking. I'm loving your blog, taking my time reading from the beginning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We brought home our 2 children in August. I just stumbled on your blog and my kids are in your picture above of the school children! We did not travel to Sodo, so I was thrilled to find this picture of them. If you have any more pics of them I would love to see them. My daughter is the child on the far left of the photo. Our son is in the middle of the others...hard to explain which one. Thanks, Michele Collier

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few more Michele - send me your e-mail and I'll forward them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw that you responded to my message all these months ago. Here is my email. I would appreciate any pictures you have of them or the orphanage. We know very little of their life before they joined our family. Thank you soooo much. collierchrisr@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loren, I am still hoping that you will see this msg and send me some pictures...thanks!

    ReplyDelete